Monday, April 23, 2012

Voodoo and Lily Yarn



I sold this little fella last year to a very wonderful customer. His name, I believe, is Voodoodie. He was one of my favorites because he was inspired by my great friend, M. We used to sit together and "play" with Sculpey. He had started a little fella then decided to scrap him. I thought it was a cutie so I had M. show me how to make little stitches like the ones on the arm. I mimicked the eyes a few times until I got them right. It took a bit of time to fiddle with the body to get it just right. The tilt of the head or the fall of an arm can say so much. I love Voodoodie's expression. I have made several of these since that night but Voo is my favorite since he was my first AND I learned something from my good friend. :-)

Voodoodie's new owner has asked for a larger version of Voo. I have started a crochet version. I am using Lily Sugar 'n Cream Yarn in warm brown. It has more of a chocolate color than red clay, but the redder yarn was too orange red. It didn't translate well for me. (Fingers crossed that my customer agrees.) I have made the head and I am halfway through the body shaping. I think I will send my customer a picture of the progress to make sure she agrees with my color choice. If not, I will still finish my original version and let him hang out on MY shelf. That's the fun thing about being an artist: I get to keep all the mishaps for myself. I usually treasure them most of all anyway.

I adapted my doll pattern from a toy pattern on the Lily website. The pattern was easy to use and written quite simply. (Every yarn artist has seen at least one pattern that seems to be written in code with too many abbreviations jumbled together. Whew! They can be disheartening.) This site is really nicely organized. I appreciate the yarn details listed with each yarn Lily offers such as recommended knitting needle or crochet hook size, washing instructions, length/ounce count, as well as color swatches and how to buy online. See what I mean by clicking here. There are a number of free patterns in each category and it is hard to settle on one project after you spend time browsing. The skill level and yarns used for each project are listed immediately under each picture so you know, before you fall in love with a project, if it is within your skill range. A log in is required but it is free and quite easy to sign up. You have a choice to sign up for newsletters and notifications from the website, but I chose neither. The "Learn How" tabs were a great help when I was learning how to crochet (again). Learn crochet stitches here. The pictures are descriptive without being confusing and the definition of each stitch term included the universal abbreviation used in most patterns. The Sugar n' Cream yarns are cotton which makes them a great yarn to use for wash clothes and any project used for cleaning up. The natural absorbency is wonderful. I like the durability. Even though my wash clothes have softened and the fibers have spread a bit after multiple uses and washings, they are still quite strong and look wonderful. I like using the yarns for baby toys, too. Cotton holds up to washer and dryer very well so it is easy for mom or dad to launder after it has been chewed or spit up on.

Lily Sugar n' Cream yarn, a Bernat product, is usually between $1.50 (on sale) to $2.50 (online) for about 95 yards and can be found almost anywhere yarn is sold. I have found it most recently at Michael's Art Stores where, if it isn't on sale already, you can use a coupon. It is a very economical choice for learning to crochet... which I recommend everyone learn.

HAPPY HOOKING!

EDIT: The little guy turned out amazingly sweet. I finished the crochet and carried him in the crook of my arm for a bit. After talking myself out of keeping him and make a second for the customer, I added the details that make him who he is. The above photo was taken by Sara Tavenner (of http://www.saratavennerdesigns.com/) She is the new owner of this little guy and, amazingly talented photographer that she is, had quite a photo shoot with him.
((This photo made me proud to do what I do.))

1 comment: